Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Poetry Homework

Hi everybody,

I hope you all had a great memorial day weekend and are looking forward to a fantastic upcoming summer vacation.

I am sad to say I will not be going on a trip with UNICEF this summer, but emanzadventures will not cease to produce worldly information.

This semester in school, I studied poetry. I thought poetry was going to be dull and uninteresting, but I ended up finding poems and poets I enjoyed and took pleasure to reading them.  I had an assignment where I listened to a poem in class, and then had to write my own poem with a similar rhythm or theme. This particular assignment I was instructed to write a poem about a strong memory. I chose to write a poem inspired by my trip to senegal since the experience is something I will rememember for all of my life.





Senegal

I smell something
A decaying fish on a table
Trash reeking all over

I see something
Where no child should be
Where no life should be lived

I hear something
The crowd of people
The laughter of children
Where they have nothing
Not even parents to love

I taste something
The bitterness of it all
The flavorlessness of this prison

I touch something
A hand of a child
A rush of excitement
A burst of HOPE
        
                  -Emmanuel Zilber


Tell me if you enjoyed this poem. Is there anything surprising about the images?  I would also enjoy if you want to write a poem about your most memorable memory. Feel free to share in the comments. 

Thanks!! 
Emmanuel 







2 comments:

  1. This is an exquisite poem, Emmanuel. You are wise, tender, expressive, generous and kind beyond your years. I am so honored to count you among my friends. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poetry Emmanuel. Keep up the good work! Melissa x

    ReplyDelete