Monday, June 4, 2012

Outrage over Syria (Warning strong material)



Hi everyone, 

 I know there's been a lot of talk about the Syrian uprisings in the news lately. “Why would we care about an uprising halfway across the world?” you might ask.  


Map of Syria



But Syrian's are as important as you and me, and I think we should be aware of our neighbors situations. 

What if America were to start giving arms to the rebels?  I believe it would make the uprisings the US’s problem along with Syria’s. 

How many Syrians must die before the US will intervene? 



A group of Syrian rebels

The Syrian people don't like their current ruler, Bashar al-Assad. Assad's father had ruled Syria for 29 years, and Bashar al Assad has been in power since 2000. 




President Bashar al Assad


In the past year there have been many protests demanding the resignation of Bashar’s presidency (more like dictator to me). 

Bashar has sent the army to quell the uprisings, but it hasn't stopped the unrest throughout Syria. Soldiers are forced to kill civilians, and those who won't  are executed by their own colleagues.

A Syrian Soldier who has switched sides

The defected soldiers and civilians are joining forces against the Syrian army. Many people have been lost on both sides during these uprisings. UNICEF believes the Syrian government has killed more than 500 children in all, and another 400 have been arrested and tortured in Syrian prisons.



You may have heard about the killing of 49 children on the news this past week.  To me the slaughter of these children is unfathomable, cruel, and barbaric. The whole world, myself included, is outraged by these massacres!



A young victim of the civil unrest

The Syrian government reminds me of the Capitol in the Hunger Games books. President Snow rules with fear like Bashar al-Assad.  In the books, the Capital is putting children in a match to the death to punish the people and remind them who is in control. The Syrian government, likewise, is striking fear in the people by killing the children.

 
Hunger Games
The Mockingjay, a symbol of the rebellion

I'm concerned whether we should step in or not; if we end up helping the rebels overtake the government, they might turn against us in the future. 

On the other hand if we help the rebels, and they lose, the Syrian government may not be as tolerant to us than before . 

Also, Russia and Syria have an alliance and if we arm the rebels, Russia will aid the government. Then it could turn into another Vietnam war with thousands of civilians dying. 

Children are dying and...what is the answer to help them? 

Please leave a comment on whether or not you feel America should give arms to the rebels to help defeat al-Assad. 

Thanks for reading this post! 

Emmanuel

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmanuel, what a thoughtful and well written post! I'm infinitely proud of your desire to be aware of the world and share your impressions. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emmanuel, I am very impressed. I have been trying to read up on this topic these last few weeks and your article was one of the best I have read. The situation is so upsetting, and the worst part is that there are no easy solutions. Thank you for posting your article. I found it really helpful in informing my opinion and thinking on this tragic state of affairs.

    Melissa Bomes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emmanuel--This blog rocks my world! You have such thoughtful positions on these complex topics, and your writing is excellent . . . how did I not know about this until June?! I am so impressed, not to mention better informed on the Syrian civil unrest. I am beyond proud to have a journalist par excellence right in my class! Wow! xx Ms. Himmelrich

    ReplyDelete