Saturday, June 25, 2011

Final Official Day - Senegal














On Thursday (our last day) we went to another nongovernmental organization called ACAPAS which gives children of the street access to education. The difference between this organization and Wednesdays, is that ACAPAS is a much bigger campus, and it has boys and girls instead of just boys or just girls and they teach everything from normal school, plus life skills. They also provide vocational training (a skill you can use to get a job) like embroidery. All of these things are important.
ACAPAS "School"
While we were there, a former student told us about when he was a poor and uneducated kid, living on the streets. Acapas helped him become a professional football player (for us it’s soccer) and he then became a teacher. He said ACAPAS made him a man. Even though I felt sad for him, I could see the school does a really good job. He is very grateful the school saved him from the streets, and now he’s the sports coach. 
Inspiring story
While he was at ACAPAS
Speaking of sports, at the end of the tour we played basketball with the girls team. They were much older and better players. They had no pity on us!!! Once we got the ball, YANK, one of the girls would steal it. In the end, we scored about 6 points, and the girls about 70 or 80 points. We sure got crushed!! It was fun to play a sport we play at home all the way in Africa.
Tough match
Alexi and Kobe "Oh Yah"
At dinner we had to present what we learned on this trip. I was partnered with Kobe (8 years old and very nice) and James (middle school student and also very nice). We wrote a song about education and sang it to the tune of “On the Floor”. Everybody laughed and thought it was good.
Presentations song
With the President of the US Fund for UNICEF, Caryl Stern...She's the boss (and really cool)!
I felt that I would miss everybody and how fun it was to experience the children of Senegal. But, as much as it was interesting it was sad so I was happy to go home.



My Group



My favorite parts of the trip:
Going to the preschool because they performed for us and I thought it was sweet.
Going to the villages to experience what it’s like to live in a remote village and live in a hut.
I liked the people on the trip, especially Kobe, who is really funny.
The food was better than I thought; I got to eat steak and pizza almost every day.
Typical Senegelese meal...I chose steak and Pizza

My least favorite parts of the trip:
I didn’t like going to the second Daara. It was really sad to see all those kids in the one room forced to do something they don’t want to do, and to be near a smelly fish market.

Unicef took us there to be able to tell people what we saw and make a difference.  Unicef promotes child friendly schools, which means schools with a safe and healthy environment.
I didn’t like shaking people’s hands because they are not clean and have germs. The weather was really hot so my face would itch and I couldn’t touch my face with all those germs.
I didn’t like the smell of some of the places which smelled dirty. I’ve never smelled anything like that.
Would I do a UNICEF trip again?
Yes. I think it’s fascinating to see different cultures, and to see how people live with so much less money.
I would want to go back to Africa because it’s beautiful and the people are really nice (they greet you warmly). I am fascinated to see the remote villages and how they get water and survive is interesting.
How can I help these kids?
I can help these kids by raising money and trick or treating for UNICEF.  I could take money from my allowance each week and give it to UNICEF. I could also make an imovie to show people what it’s like in a third world country, what I experienced,  and hope people will realize they really need our help.
Even small amounts of money can save a child’s life.
Thanks everyone for following my blog. I hope you now feel that you have seen Africa though my eyes. Can’t wait to see you all when we’re all back from Summer.

I may post once in a while if I see something interesting or important.

Chi Jama
(Goodbye in Wollof – native language of Senegal).
Leaving hotel Terrou-Bi for the airport

Paris bound

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing Journey E! It was so fun to read your thoughts about what you liked and didn't like. Your descriptions were wonderful and really made us feel like we were experiencing the journey too! Can't wait to see you ifilm and see you soon. much love, trisha and ava

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have enjoyed your blog so much! Thanks for posting so much. You really have a gift for blogging. Look forward to seeing more pictures when you get back.

    Valerie, Ashley, Mattman

    ReplyDelete