Thursday, July 5, 2012

A London Must See ~ Churchill's War Rooms


Hi everybody,


Anybody who goes to London MUST SEE the Churchill War Rooms!!

Yesterday, I toured Winston Churchill’s War Rooms in London, England which was a highlight of my Summer. 

The war rooms were underground bunkers, where Churchill, the Prime Minister, and his cabinet would plot strategic moves during World War 2.


Entrance to Churchill's War Rooms
Because we took a private tour, I was able to enter several of Churchill’s private rooms and experience what were beyond the glass walls.


Visitors looking inside Churchill's room


In the meeting room, where Churchill and his cabinet would strategize their military operations, I had the privilege of siting on the exact seat as Churchill had so many years ago.


'Looking Churchill-like in the meeting room
Where are my cigars?!

In front of him sat a large red box, a fountain pen and ink-wells, a letter opener and an ash tray (for the infamous cigars).



I found this quote sitting on the meeting room desk.
Don't give up without a fight!




The seating chart of the key decision makers 

In fact, in front of every seat sat an ash tray. Back in those days everybody smoked cigarettes. The room must have been filled with smoke without any ventilation (there wasn’t a single window).

No windows and ashtrays abound


Our guide led us to the map room next where very few were admitted during the war. 



Top Secret Map Room



 This room was my favorite because maps intrigue me with their borders and history.  Ships were plotted on the map by small pushpins, ports were noted by small square notes.


My sister doesn't like maps as much as I do.....

I was amazed how much of the world was engaged in World War 2. Countries I never thought were involved played a role. South Africa, Senegal, Ethiopia, India, Australia, they were all used for strategic positioning.

Map with notes
"Hitler's Dead!"

Churchill made all his wartime broadcasts from his private quarters in the bunker. 



Churchill's desk where he made radio broadcasts 

Though there was a bed, he only slept in the room 3 nights diring the war. Why, you ask? Churchill hated not having running water which meant he had to pee in a pot!


Churchill's Pee Pot....no seriously....



If you are interested in WW2, I urge you to pay a visit.  Churchill was a brave, cunning and influential man. The war rooms are captivating. 

Churchill
Thanks, 

Emmanuel 

1 comment: