Monday, July 30, 2012

Hura's History


Hi everybody,

Today, I'm interviewing one of my favorite teachers who has inspired me to love history.

Ms. Hura, one of JTD's finest, is always positive, energetic and even humorous.  She truly makes history fun to learn.




Ms. Hura,  always with a bright smile. 



Ms. Hura's love for history has sparked my own passion for the subject.



My 5th grade history text book.


I love studying Napoleon, European history, American history, wars, ancient history and the list goes on. I’m fascinated how everything happening in our world today relates back to earlier history. 

For instance, China was a major exporter and trader of silk and spices in the 14th and 15th centuries. Once again, China is now a major exporter of manufactured goods.  


Ancient Chinese Trading Ship



Modern day Chinese Trading Ships




   

I was curious to learn where her passion for history began...


       
EZ- What sparked your passion for history? 

DH - My dad was a huge history buff and has worked for the government and a few presidents in the past. The stories he would tell always intrigued me and got me loving history. History is a true story….what's not to love about true stories right?


EZ- What's your trick in motivating your students to love history? 

DH- I think I have an understanding about being a student…I always wished my teachers had made us laugh more, or would goof off themselves. Sitting in class for a double period can be long and uninspiring. Knowing that, I try to mix things up a bit, make you guys laugh, give you something else to think about, rather than just listening to my voice all period long! Plus, being a huge fan of the subjects I get to teach you guys, keeps me peppy and wanting you guys to try to love the subjects as much as I do! 

An inspiring teacher, "Dead Poets Society"




EZ- What's your favorite period in history? 

DH- My favorite period of history is the US from the early 1950s to the end of the 1960s. (post-WW2) Our country was reinventing itself all on its own and the famous characters of the time inspire me and keep me wanting to learn more and more! 



EZ- What piece of advice would you give me (and my fellow classmates) to prepare for 6th grade? 

DH- I would hope you guys can arrive in fall still confident in your writing skills and note taking skills. These are going to help you so much in 6th grade and for the rest of your academic careers. Also, I hope you all come in positively and embrace the very special year of 6th grade at JTD. You will be busy but with all of the exciting things only 6th graders get to do, I want you all to enjoy each moment!! 


EZ-Why is history important for us all?

DH- History is important to us all because it is proof that mistakes can happen. Bad decisions have occurred even in the White House. History teaches us to accept responsibility and learn from our mistakes. We all make them, but studying how others lived through their own mistakes and fixed things, might help us grow as citizens and citizens who aim to do the right thing whenever possible.




DH-...You and your UNICEF charities are making history Eman! You are teaching others how to be a good citizen and hopefully people are reading about you and learning from you right as we speak!




Thanks, Ms. Hura for your time.
I hope you all enjoyed meeting one of my favorite teachers.

Thanks

Emmanuel











1 comment: