Sunday, June 19, 2011

Senegal Sightseeing


Today was my first official day in Senegal. We first took a boat to Gorée Island. Once again, the harbor was hot and crowded. There were a lot of Senegalese people, women in colorful dresses and head wraps, and their children. The women were mostly shop owners on the island. Their shops look like stalls like you would see at a carnival or flea market. There was A LOT of begging and aggressive selling. I felt annoyed and uncomfortable.



When we got on the island we first climbed a hill to get to the restaurant. We all ate pizza (most had anchovies and my mom HATES anchovies). We played a game to get to know each other where you had to say your name, and what was your hidden talent. Mine was that I played tennis, but some people could do a handstand, magic tricks and tie a stem of a cherry in their mouth.
I know everyone better now!

Can you name this drink? My mom drinks one every day at home....


After lunch we went to the Slave house where all the slaves were imprisoned and then shipped off to America, Brazil and the Carribean. The Spanish started this horrible slave trade! Baaaad.
Men were held in small cells, chained, they could barely move. If they got sick they would be thrown into the water for the sharks. So many slaves were thrown in the water they called it Shark Island - because all the sharks would eat the bodies.
 

I saw the "door of no return" where millions of slaves were sent off or thrown into the water. What a sad and meaningful place. It's not fair the African people were treated so badly, neglected and abused. Makes me feel indignant (wordly wise word! :))



My mom met a woman named Coumba - she has a shop on the island and my mom bought a scarf from her. They spoke for a long time about what it's like to be a woman in Senegal...

Fact - Women can have one husband but men can have 4 wives!!! That's the law.
Coumba has 35 brothers and sisters (torture!)...Her mom was wife number 3.

She can't ever move away from home until she gets married. She is not free.

Coumba gave me a necklace because she thought we were nice.

Tomorrow we will visit schools. Some of the schools are Muslim which means I'm not allowed to wear shorts and my mom has to wear a scarf around her head, long pants and long sleeves. It's going to be hot and uncomfortable.

See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour Emmanuel, tu parles le français avec les petits enfants? Your blog is so awesome mon cheri. I really enjoy all the pictures and comments you are posting everyday! What an amazing trip already in just 4 days. I can't wait to see more of your adventures and see you in Paris soon with Amélie. Love you papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour mon cherie, Il n'y a plus de nouvelles de ta part! J'espère que tout va bien quand même!
    What have you been seeing for the past few days?
    I can't wait to read from you again.
    I think about you all the time and I love you so much. Bisous Papa

    ReplyDelete